The HE Green Paper:
The Threat to the Public University
…and what we can do about it
Saturday 27 February, 10am-5pm
Speakers from: UCU, Campaign for the Public University, Council for the Defence of British Universities & more
The Convention will be structured around the stated premises of the Green Paper in order to coordinate a collective collegiate response to it. Sessions are intended to be both informative and participatory.
The Convention is open to everyone who cares about the future of the Public University and the threat the Green Paper represents to academic freedom.
- Teaching quality, social mobility and the TEF – the rise of metrics and the uncapping of fees
- Opening the market to private providers – easy come, easy go?
- Measure anything, fail everyone? – the rise of ‘performance management’
- Deregulation, the attack on governance and statutes – academic freedom under threat
- The future of research funding
- Strategies to win: How can we defend the Public University?
The closing date for the official government consultation on the Green Paper is 15 January. The Convention will take place five weeks after, ahead of the publication of the White Paper.
In order to facilitate debate we will post responses to the Green Paper from colleagues across the sector on our website.
- HE Convention A4 poster
- HE Convention A5 leaflet (2-up)
- Motion to pass formally through your union branch or other organisation
Eventbrite will ask you to make a contribution of £5 to help cover speakers’ expenses.
Categories: Higher Education